Saturday, November 3, 2007

November Director's Message

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Greetings:

For those of you that read what I had written for the Director’s Message in the October newsletter and blog you were aware that I was wondering aloud about the future and direction of the Sacred Path Men’s Retreats. This pondering was elicited by the slow enrollments for the most recent fall retreat and what I perceived as a tepid involvement of the men over the past two years. Many men got the distinct impression that this retreat could have been the last one or at least would commemorate the past 20 years and signal the need for a break in order to reflect and recalibrate the forward vision.

I am grateful to all of you that wrote personal messages voicing your concerns about the possible demise of the men’s retreats as well as sharing your comments of acknowledgement and expressed meaning of significance that was gained from your attendance over the years. I am also grateful to you men that went the extra mile to be present at this past retreat as a show of support for our concerted efforts and an indication that the longevity and vitality of Sacred Path is indeed important to you. We had 46 men, including staff, in attendance. We had wanted to have 80 men on the mountain but it was immediately apparent that the quality of the men in attendance dramatically compensated for the diminished quantity. And if you want to know what occurred while we were on the mountain just ask any of the men that attended and you’ll no doubt get quite an earful. It was a pretty amazing event in so many different ways.

Going into this retreat I had made peace with whatever was to result as an outcome and harbinger for what might follow. I had come to the realization that I needed to let go in order to allow for whatever changes needed to occur. I was as much an observer as a participant and presenter for this retreat, and what I observed enlightened me in a refreshing and reinvigorating way. Through the openness and generosity of the good men that were on the mountain, I came to some realizations.

The first realization was that what we were providing mattered enough to 46 men that they chose to show up. On Saturday night, after each of the 4 Tribes presented brilliant displays or skits centered around the main theme of their Tribe name, I was surprised with a heartwarming ceremony of acknowledgement in which I was brought forward to stand before all the men. I was presented with an engraved crystal and then the men began to thank me, one at a time, for something that was personal to each of them regarding the contribution that I had made to their lives. After that, I was hoisted into the air and the men “hailed the King” and then lowered me to the ground and stood over me with hands outstretched as a blessing.

I was so humbled by this show of love that I was hearing what they had to say from a place of true awe. I was struck with how simple and straightforward their comments were as they penetrated my heart. It’s as though in some distant place I knew the truth of what they were saying but it had escaped me. Not because I had taken it for granted but more because I was busy with what needed to be done along the way to create and maintain the forward momentum of the vision. My awareness was centered on the journey more than the results or the destination. Not unlike a centipede that is asked by the ladybug how he keeps his legs coordinated without stepping all over each other. When this multi-legged being considered the question, he took a step and fell off the branch. On that evening I took a step and as I fell backward I went into the arms of the men and I was carried to a new place of mindfulness.

Another awareness was that I had been concerned with the notion that if we didn’t continue to appeal to new men and reach out to the mainstream that we would lose momentum and dwindle to the point of extinction. What I came to realize is that we are truly a training camp for Spiritual Warriors and that is not for everyone. It takes a certain kind of man to be willing to plumb the depths of his soul...to do the deep work of the mystic. Years ago I said that I believed we were monks without a monastery and that the retreats offered for a few days a makeshift monastery for men to open their hearts, intertwine their minds and unite their souls in the deep masculine spiritual work that mystics are ordained to pursue.

Yesterday, for my birthday, my wife gave me a present of Caroline Myss’s newest CD set titled Entering the Castle: Exploring Your Mystical Experience of God. In it Caroline explains the nature of mysticism and its experiences; what it means to be called into mystical service; and how to discover one’s unique gifts; have an authentic experience of the sacred, and become a channel for grace. As soon as I started to listen to the first CD I was struck with the power of the truth that she was speaking. She was saying exactly what I know to be true about the times we live in and what our work is in the world today. She was describing the men on the Sacred Path in parallel with other mystics that have gathered in community to explore the nature of the Divine.

I told the men on retreat that I haven’t lost my faith in our mission but I admit that I have been a bit frustrated when things don’t move as fluidly as I’d prefer. But I came away from this retreat with a renewed patience and spirit for the mission and a buoyed awareness that our work in the world is as important as it ever was and probably more so than I had imagined. My eyes were opened to the true value of having a training camp for spiritual warriors and I am truly honored to be in the company of such incredible men that are making a positive difference in their lives and the lives of their family members and beyond that into the world at large. Additionally, a special acknowledgement to Timothy Aguilar, Steve Branker and the other men of the Wisdom Council, who by their very nature, comprise the many facets of the diamond that sparkles brightly on the Sacred Path. It is through their talents and expressed gifts that the community is enriched beyond measure. I shine more brightly just by being in the light that they reflect. So...Happy Anniversary, Sacred Path brotherhood. The work continues – and now onto the vision for the next 20 years. Read through the blog for news about some events that are being scheduled to take place over the next couple of months. To you and your families may you have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Namaste,
Stephen

No comments: