Friday, March 28, 2008

Phillip Jennings' Kayaking Experience

At some time about the middle of last year, members of the Wisdom Council made the decision to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of Sacred Path by going on a kayak trip down the Colorado River under the guidance of Scott Ewing and Andrew Soliz. An invitation was given to all members of the WC, both current and past. Fourteen of us came together Thursday night, February 28, and began a bonding and a creation of brotherhood that still blows me away even as I write these words.

I can’t possibly tell you all that occurred while we traveled that river. The advantage started from the beginning for me. I was lodged on the 14th story of the hotel in the tower while the rest of the WC roomed on the first floor. Friday morning’s view from my window displayed Lake Mead to the left and mountains to the right. We gathered our things in the lower parking lot of the hotel and wondered for the thousandth time how all these things were going to fit in a kayak. Unbelievably, they did!

We launched and traveled downriver about 100 yards, I believe Scott said, and made our first stop. In my mind, the reality of bonding and the creation of a brotherhood of spiritual warriors had already begun to build. I watched a mountain of a man walk across a section of river with a rope over his shoulder so that he could tie it off on the other side as a support line for the rest of us. I watched others of us help each other across water that was cold enough that our legs became numb halfway over. We were waist-deep, and the current pulled on each of us as we waded across. The distance was short but the crossing was rough. One of us lost a sandal and almost more, but with the commitment of his brothers, he crossed safety. Then, after that high moment of adrenaline, we entered the womb of Mother Earth, sitting as a group in the darkness of a vapor cave. We held ceremony in the darkness and held each other in the silence that is brotherhood.

This was but one of the many moments that occurred during the three days on the river. I will state for myself that I am not the same being I was before this trip. I left a great deal that was unneeded on the river and came back with much more. It gave challenge to my body, my mind and my spirit. The warrior lived and was awakened to the beauty that is nature. He sleeps not. Two days after my return, a friend remarked that ..."you're glowing, man." That was the effect this trip had had on me. If the opportunity arises again, brothers, reward yourselves with it. I am overwhelmingly pleased with myself that I did.

Blessings to all.
Phillip Jennings 03.25.08

No comments: