Sunday, June 1, 2008

Comments on the May 17th Practicum

Thanks so much for the enlightenment and the crash course you provided. In my present situation, I really needed it. I guess I was at the right session to learn about aloneness and the importance of stillness in everyday life. Sometimes we forget about the basics of living, and the Practicum was a wonderful way to bring everything back into balance.

Looking forward to the July session!

Be well,
- Jamshid Daneshgar


Although it happens infrequently and then all too briefly, I can occasionally put myself fully into the present and become completely engaged in what I am doing. That is, I can be mindful. I have practiced meditation for several years, albeit with limited success, but the constant demands of my four kids make finding a quiet moment and restful place nearly impossible. So it became clear that I needed a more practical way to connect with my inner self. Stephen's mindfulness Practicums have helped me learn how to develop this vital ability: a practice that has literally given me back my life, a life aside from my past, and aside from my "story." These Practicums have helped me connect with a much more powerful source of peace than I believed possible. Just as importantly, they have given me a chance to learn these skills in the company of truly inspiring men. I have attended every Practicum and always leave with much more than I bring.

- Eric, single father of four


For me, two elements have come clearly into focus since beginning the Practicums. First of all, I am learning practical methods of bringing myself into a peaceful place from a place of anxiety, anger, and alienation; and once I’m there, to keep myself there without backsliding. Second, the progression of the Practicums allows me to digest the material of one before building on it to get to the next stage. Non-resistance learned in the first session led to the acquisition of patience in the second, which took me to living in stillness in the third. This is the first time I can remember having a practice to bring down my hostility at other drivers who cut me off, blow through stop signs in front of me, and, well, I’m sure you all have experienced that anger. I can now deal with it; not all the time, but I'm getting better. Way to go, Stephen!

- Rich Manners

For further information on the upcoming July 26 Practicum, click HERE

No comments: