Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Letter from Cameron Bonner

Dear Friends and Supporters,

I write this e-mail with sadness due to the passing of my aunt and also Gary's younger brother. As we mourn as a family, I still must stay focused. I was torn with going to the men's retreat last week because I was supposed to be at the funeral Friday. Gary made me keep our commitment to the men's center, so I took 5 young boys up to Malibu for a retreat that has made a difference in so many peoples’ lives.

I must thank Dr. Stephen Johnson and the brothers from the Sacred Path retreat for again blessing my community by paying the entire fee needed to allow 6 people to attend the retreat.

For the third year going I was able to share such a special event with some needy children. When I selected the kids I let each parent know how serious this event is. I made no promises, but deep in my heart I knew if we just got them there we would be able to plant hope in them.

Well, I'm happy to announce that this retreat was a success.

I saw 4 out of 5 boys make a change. I saw hardened youths learn to trust. I saw angry kids accept love from men of different races.

It wasn't all roses the entire weekend. In fact, we had a serious blow-up before Andrew's sweat lodge, after Strong Bear and Andrew and the council convinced me to do the sweat. During the second stage of the sweat it hit me.

I started feeling joy.

What became clear to me was that these kids weren't mad at me. These kids were angry at what I represent. I'm what has hurt them the most. I'm a Black male who like their fathers, or even the men who dated their mothers, leave them. Almost every black man they love leaves them, so what makes me different?

They did all they could to run me away so I would prove them right, but no, I'm not going anywhere. It became so clear that the rest of the retreat was a joy because the boys became a team. The cabin was so peaceful at night I slept like a baby.

This breakthrough saved me from giving up. So for this I say thank you, brothers on the mountain, for hosting a powerful gathering. My pledge now is to find as many men who can join us next year. This program is a must. We must find solutions for our troubled sons. So on behalf of the C.U.R.E. family I wish to say thank you so much for giving us a chance to heal.

We plan to host a follow-up event on a latter date where the members of the retreat can join the kids and their families at Helen Keller park to celebrate our youths’ passage into manhood. Rites of Passage are important, and now our kids have a true image of what a Man looks and acts like.

Bless you all,
Cameron Bonner

P.S.
I was away Thursday and didn't get a chance to see the newspaper story done on us until Monday. The Watts Times did a story on C.U.R.E., and I wish to share it with you now. Please go to this link to see the entire story. Here's the link.
http://www.lawattstimes.com/articles/2008/04/10/community/community1.txt

Thank you Brooklyn Gipson for coming to see what is being done and sharing what you saw with your readers.
Here's a piece of the story:
“I’m not looking for the next Reggie Bush or the next Jordan. I’m looking for a Tom Bradley or an Yvonne Burke. We’re trying to teach these kids how to be leaders,” Robinson said as Roberto, a young Latino boy, runs up from across the field. Exasperated and out of breath, Roberto explains to Coach Robinson, “I was studying.” As is a common tactic for athletic coaches, Robinson punishes the boy for being late by assigning 10 push-ups. Upon completion Robinson calls out “Hard work!” to which the young boy responds “Pays off!” before running off to join the other children.

Thank You all for helping us do our works. Together we're making a difference in children's lives. Thank you for helping Gary's football dream team.

Thank you God for everything.

Much Love and Respect
Cameron Bonner VP of C.U.R.E.

No comments: