Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Cary Alburn's Comments on the Practicum Series

It is a pleasure to share my thoughts with you regarding the 2008 Mindfulness Practicum series, facilitated by Dr. Stephen Johnson. My interest in the series spawned from major life events occurring to me and a desire to learn new ways of possibly moving through those events, instead of holding on to the conditioned reactive responses that spring up so naturally, usually with little benefit.

Beginning in January and with the closing session on September 20, I found the series insightful, inspiring and beneficial, with noticeable tangible results as long as I remain mindful. Being in a mindful or present state is not yet an automatic frame in which to reference my world, however I am integrating many of the tools Stephen shared during these sessions.

The January opener was truly the foundation for the segments which followed through the months. I have been interested in Yoga, meditation, circular breathing and any knowledge which can be gleaned from wisdom cultures. This was an opportunity for me to belay the trepidation and anxiety related to questioning whether I was capable of properly executing these practices. That in itself has become some of the work for me to do as I walk my path.

I have experienced what a great tool the breathing exercise can be. It is truly one of the more dynamic experiences available to all of us. For me this exercise requires patience and assistance from the skilled and pliant hands of Rich Manners, Mitch Roth and Stephen.

I felt a strong presence with the group of men which gathered at these sessions, and I am grateful for the opportunity to grow as I sat and shared the experiences with my brothers. I continue to embrace the areas we directed focus on: presence, stillness, composure, kindness and discernment, to name few.

I keep Stephen’s compositions close at hand and usually read over the various handouts in the morning before I start work. I continue to hold the basic curriculum with me, in practicing truth, love and simplicity. I have also been receiving emails from the “Daily Om” and short quotes from Rhoberta Schaler, like the one below, which arrived today by email. These were steps suggested by Stephen and I have found them useful. As I integrated these small additions, they have acted as triggers which served in “reminding” me. The following quote pretty much sums up where I would like to be going and how these sessions have created value for me.
Regards,
Cary Alburn

“Your mind is where you live. Your world, your body, and your situation react in exact accordance to your mind. Not someone else's mind, your mind. An expanded consciousness expresses in an expanded experience.”
- Raymond Charles Barker

No comments: