Thursday, December 1, 2011

Blind Perspective - Volume 2

by Michael Tapia, longtime member of Sacred Path

[The following article is the second in a chronology of Michael's progressive loss of his eyesight. They form a remarkable story of courage and an indomitable will to live.]

The drive home from the ophthalmologist took an eternity. I had just gone blind temporarily for ten days and had a lot to process. My friend Mauricio was deep in thought, and it felt strange not seeing anything out of the car window. I could hear the traffic around me and sirens in the far distance. Time slowed to a crawl and I was suddenly aware of living in the moment. I broke the silence and asked Mauricio where we might be.

“We’re near Normandie and Melrose,” he said.

“Close to City College?” I asked. I realized we were near the Braille Institute. I recalled I had often avoided blind people. I shuddered with guilt, surprised at my own phobia of people who were different. I counted my blessings that my blindness was temporary.

We arrived at my apartment. Mauricio was very careful to guide me to the living room and my favorite chair.

“Can I get you something to drink?” he asked kindly.

“Sure! How about a bottle of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay 1989?” I asked jokingly.

“There you go again, making light of things,” he said with concern.

“I’ll be fine. I just have to get in touch with my inner ‘Helen’ - you know – Helen Keller?” I said, goading him.

Just then, my cats jumped onto my lap, meowing with curiosity. Zacky and Momma Girl were brother and sister. I held them tightly and reveled at feeling something I could readily identify and recognize.

I convinced Mauricio that I needed time alone to plan my next ten days of blindness. I sat in my chair, in the silence, cuddled my cats and began to visualize my living room. I slowly got up, trailed the nearest wall, found the bookshelf, another wall, the doorstop, and the short hallway to my bedroom. I stubbed my foot on the nightstand and slowly approached my bed. I visualized the bedroom and the windows still open from the night before. I could smell the jasmine as I curled up against my favorite pillow. I was lying on my side when I felt Zacky jump directly on my thigh, startling me. He crawled higher onto my side and put his paw on my face. I patted his paw and reassured him that we were all going to be just fine. I felt Momma Girl curl up behind me. Nestled by my two Griffins, I squeezed the pillow tightly and wept.

Continued in next issue

No comments: