Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Paulo Mattioli: December 31, 1969 - October 22, 2011

In 1987 I facilitated the first one-day Sacred Path Men’s Retreat in a silver geodesic dome house owned by Jerry Weinerth situated high atop Topanga Canyon overlooking the ocean. I initially positioned these one-day events for men about every 3 months. Sam Slonaker, Drummer and Rebirther, stepped up to assist me, and then others offered to help. I had also heard about an amazing drummer that lived in San Diego by the name of Paulo Mattioli. I connected with him and invited him to come up and lead a drum circle at one of my events.

Paulo had a wild mane of hair and a hugely radiant and magnetic personality. Our first meeting created a bond that would last for many years. I met dancer Riccardo Morrison at my first Mendocino Men’s Retreat featuring Robert Bly and Michael Meade. I invited Riccardo to participate in one of our retreats. Paulo and Riccardo held the beat and the movement for the Sacred Path Retreats as they expanded from the one-day events up at Jerry’s to two-day, then three-day retreats held at Camp Shalom, Camp Griffo, Cotton Tail, Hess Kramer and finally Gindling Hilltop.

As Paulo’s and Riccardo’s careers took off, requiring more extensive travel and commitments to perform, their presence at the Sacred Path events began to dwindle. We said goodbye to them and welcomed Christo Pellani and Fred Sugerman aboard to head up the drumming and movement. I haven’t seen or spoken to Paulo or Riccardo in years but knew that Paulo remained quite busy as his star was rising. You can read below what Christo has written about Paulo’s phenomenal talent and career.

At the last retreat, Christo asked me on Saturday if I had heard that Paulo was ill and had apparently been undergoing treatment for brain cancer. I had not heard anything about it and he said he would check it out and thought maybe it was a rumor. On Monday, following the retreat, Christo called to say that he just found out that Paulo had died on Sunday. We were stunned and saddened to hear the news.

Paulo was so vibrant and alive that it’s hard to conceive of someone so full of life being taken from us in the prime of his life. I went to his web site and reviewed his accomplishments over the years and looked at his pictures. We have lost another remarkable man, a true spiritual warrior. Like Timothy, Conrad, Walter and others that have touched our lives and left their own legacies with Sacred Path, Paulo was among the best. Even though our paths had not crossed in years, I had looked forward to sitting with him again and catching each other up on all that has transpired over the years. I will miss this opportunity, and yet he will live on in my heart and I’m sure within the hearts of those that knew him. Paulo radiated such vitality, love and passion.

Rest in peace, brother.
Stephen Johnson
~~~~~~~

Paulo Mattioli was recognized as a world-renowned multi-percussionist, educator and master instrument designer, with a special ability to inspire and empower others through drumming.

He was my friend and rhythm culture brother and colleague. I first met Paulo in 1992 taking a group drumming class, and I bought my first rope-tuned djembe from him. We trained together for the REMO Health Rhythms drum circle facilitation program, and we hung out in Topanga, swapped stories of growing up in Italian families, and played together on numerous occasions. We met up at the Sacred Path Retreats, and worked together for three retreats, cooking up the drumming activities for the community. I am fortunate to have had those powerful experiences drumming next to him, and to have inherited the community-drumming mantle for Sacred Path from him.

Paulo was a passionate and personable guy. He was one of the most well known, influential, and charismatic hand drummers in the nation.

He was an active drum teacher and facilitator who led Rhythm Journey drumming and dance workshops across the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia and Mexico.

He graduated with honors and held a degree in music, communications and visual arts from the University of San Diego. He also received a U.S. scholarship for his research in the use of drumming for communication within West African culture.

Paulo was the musical director of "Mystique D'Afrique," a West African drum and dance ensemble, and performed with artists such as Kenny Loggins, Sting, and Babatunde Olatunji as well as many others.

He was a REMO signature artist; designer of unique quality djembe drums, and authored the top rated instructional video series, "Hands-on Drumming".

Paulo also offered holistic services like drum meditations, Watsu and Waterdance and was a certified massage therapist, specializing in Sensate Shiatsu, a healing art which combined rhythmic massage with sound healing.

He was the creator of “FitRhythms”, an exercise program that combined the mind/body benefits of group drumming with aerobic movement.

Paulo was a leader and inspiration to a whole lot of drummers He will be remembered, honored, missed, and admired for his unique contribution to the modern rhythm culture as a true ambassador of the drum, and for his dedication to promoting community, creativity and global consciousness.

RIP, brother Paulo.
Christo Pellani
~~~~~~~

Hi Steve:

I was very sorry to hear about Paulo. He was such a happy and uplifting spirit. I’ll always remember that retreat when he was telling the story of being the only White guy drumming and dancing in the midst of a tribe of Africans IN AFRICA!!! I laugh out loud every time I think of the blind man in our group (Michael Tapia) surprised to realize that Paulo was not Black!!

Paulo had so much soul. I’m so grateful I got to know him and am a better person thanks to having him in my life. I went to the first retreat he put on solo in Hawaii. It was interesting. He tried to do it all – Drum Leader, Dance Leader and the Awareness Leader. What a stretch. I remember feeling uncomfortable with all he was taking on and rather than throwing myself into lots of group participation I wandered away from camp seeking loneliness and solitude.

Absolutely, I will be there for the 25th annual retreat in October. As soon as I hear the dates, they will be in my calendar. And I’ll commit to coming every five years forever long you find the energy to keep it going ☺. I’ve experienced so many wonderful people thanks to the space you’ve created -- now over a generation of time. My life is so rich and blessed now and I don’t even want to imagine what it would have been like if I didn’t find my way on your Sacred Path. If only, I could find the way to get my sons there.

Best wishes to you and your family for a very joyous holiday season and continued extraordinary new years.

Love to you,
Jay Berger

2 comments:

LadyDi said...

Dearest Paulo:

Just hearing of your death. So sad to lose your amazing energy from this planet. Gone too soon! Will see you on the other side! 'Til then I will continue to play and honor you thru the beautiful drum you made for me many years ago! You introduced the djembe to me those many years ago at Zaca Lake and I continue to play with a hand percussion group formed here on the central coast of CA.

In Spirit for the music and in honor of your Grace ~

Dion

LadyDi said...

Dearest Paulo:

Just hearing of your death. So sad to lose your amazing energy from this planet. Gone too soon! Will see you on the other side! 'Til then I will continue to play and honor you thru the beautiful drum you made for me many years ago! You introduced the djembe to me those many years ago at Zaca Lake and I continue to play with a hand percussion group formed here on the central coast of CA.

In Spirit for the music and in honor of your Grace ~

Dion