Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Society that Funds Its Fears, Not Its Visions

By Nick Rath

I don’t know where the quote comes from. I do know that when I first read it, or heard it, I got angry. I read it as any society that funds its fear cannot be funding its visions as well.

I remember hearing a minister in a church in Oregon say that where you put your attention is where you actually live. That lady spoke the truth for me. She spoke about how we mostly know people who focus in on something, giving time, money, lip service and possibly even elbow grease in the service of that thing. After the service, some of her congregation gathered with some of us who were visitors and we went to a nearby restaurant for brunch. As I listened to the folk at the table speak I understood her comments even more.

One couple talked about the forestry project they were involved with, near their home. They spoke of it with knowledge and passion. They told us what they intended to see happen in the forest, what difference that would make, and about the actual work itself. I asked about their home. They spoke of it as an extension of what their lives were/are about. He told me about the library he has amassed on the Oregon forests and ecology. She spoke of how they have solarized almost their whole house.

Another couple shared about the long distance project they are involved with, inspired by their children, both of whom are musicians. They have taken on the task of gathering funds and volunteers for a music camp and festival held in early summer every year for young musicians. Last year they had twenty-eight young musicians in a three-week camp. This year they already have over a hundred applications. During the three weeks before the camp and at least two weeks after they literally live at the camp, and they love it!

When I read the quote I thought funding meant money, and it does. Funding is also giving attention to, focus on, and being willing to invest yourself in whatever it is.   I have a friend who collects gifts for Native American families living on a reservation every Christmas time. She wraps these presents and transports them from Los Angeles to Arizona every year. She is there when the presents are delivered. This is not a good idea, this is an idea that has taken form and become a loving action. She funds this activity with her love, her attention, her willingness.

Where do these people live? At the brunch after church in Oregon, one of the other visitors asked a local where they lived. He laughed and answered, “According to the Rev I live in the projects that empower my life.”

We get to choose where we live. We can choose to fund our fears, and thereby build the structure of our life around being afraid. We can fund our loves and build the structure of our life around being a contribution to others, making a difference to the world around us, the children around us, the older people, the ill, those in need. Each of us determines what our lives mean. We answer in our hearts the question, “What does my life mean?”

There is great risk in living from love instead of fear. We may not get accomplished what we aim to get accomplished. We may be rejected, lonely, divorced. People who live in love are often taken advantage of. They often live with reoccurring heartache. They get asked, “Why do you do that? Aren’t you afraid of getting hurt?”

I believe the risk is greater to live in fear. Fear stops greatness. Fear keeps telling us not to go there (into love) because the people who go there get hurt. Yet the people we revere in our history as great people lived with the fear and chose to live in the love. Where do you live?

I fund my life in the principals of love. I put my attention on loving you completely, every day, every hour. I look for ways that I may be of service, to you personally, to the family, to the community, to the nation, to the principles of freedom, honesty, joy, love, sharing, and contribution. I live in a really nice place.
You are invited.

No comments: