Monday, January 5, 2009

Stephen Johnson - In Memory of a Fallen Brother

Sunday, January 4, 2009

In Memory of a Fallen Brother


Dear brothers and sisters,

It is with profound and deep sadness that I must inform you of the passing of my dear friend and beloved brother, Timothy “Whispering Eagle” Aguilar. Timothy died of internal bleeding Saturday night at Daniel Freeman Marina Del Ray Hospital.

I was sitting at my desk yesterday morning working on the newsletter when a call came in from Albert Marrewa telling me that he had just learned that Timothy had been taken to the emergency room earlier in the morning. He said that Timothy’s brother had tried to contact me. I checked my voice messages and had a message from Steve, Timothy’s brother, indicating that he was on his way back from San Diego and that Timothy was in critical condition. I dressed and called my son, Ian, who had a close relationship with Timothy and with his son Ziari. I picked up Steve Branker and headed for the hospital. We pulled into the hospital parking lot as Ian, Timothy’s brother and his wife, Rene, were arriving. Ziari, his girlfriend Shana, and Timothy’s girlfiend, Sherry, were with Timothy at the time.

The emergency room doctors and nurses were having difficulty stabilizing Timothy’s blood pressure. It was 74 over 36 when I arrived and it would fluctuate from lows to as high as 124 over 95 and then back down again. I went in to see him and he was barely conscious. He was trying to speak but really couldn’t get the words out. I held his hand and stroked his head and we shared some tender moments together as I encouraged him to fight the good fight and expressed my love for him. As relatives, friends and Sacred Path Wisdom Council men arrived, our spirits would swing with the highs and lows of his blood pressure readings. They needed to stabilize him in order to take him into surgery to determine where the bleeding was coming from. He was bleeding internally faster than they could infuse blood into him.

At one point, within 5 minutes of a nurse giving us a hopeful pep talk another nurse entered the waiting room to tell us that the news was not good. His heart had stopped and they were able to get it started again but he was slowing down. She asked for next-of-kin to come with her. As loved ones gathered we huddled together to keep our spirits up. Ian and I went to get coffee and Mike O’Grady went to the deli to get sandwiches and soup. We were faithful and created a prayer circle while Ed Munter led us in a prayer over a cell phone from his location in 5 feet of snow in Oregon. I had good talks with Timothy’s father and others who were close to him as we spoke of him with such affection and caring.

Timothy’s valiant battle to survive lasted for several hours until he made his transition at 8pm. We were with him in the final moments and surrounded his bed to say our goodbyes and to wish him a good journey home. His Eagle Spirit soared over his fallen body, that body that once stood so erect and statuesque, reminding us to stand a little straighter and to walk with the dignity of the divine beings that we truly are. He was free and was dancing on the other plain, in the realm next to us. We could feel it and Irene Skau chanted over him to sing him into the light.

I sit in my home office in the center of my altars with my candles and incense burning and with the CD of The Prayer Cycle playing in the background as I write to you. This was some of Timothy’s favorite music, and as I gaze at the 3 altars that surround me I am amidst an assemblage of gifts that my brother has bestowed on me over the many years that we were partners on the Sacred Path. At each retreat we would exchange a medicine gift upon our arrival and we would bless each other and say a prayer for all those in attendance. After the retreat I would take my love gift home and place it on one of my altars and then we would often call each other to wax on about what a great retreat we just experienced. “This retreat was the best,” we would exclaim. How was that possible, we would muse, because there were so many and each one was always the very best?

In a way I must admit that I feel at a loss for words to express the depth of my feelings for this man I called my soulful brother. While I am flooded with memories, my mind can’t fathom the loss that we must contend with now. It’s unimaginable that we have lost such a magnificent human being. He gave so much to so many. He was always so selfless and generous with his love. What he gave to my family and me was immense. He would always remind me that he had my back. He was a strong presence in my life. Whether he was sitting next to me in our Wisdom Councils or in the community gatherings or climbing next to me on the ropes course, we were never above or below each other. And I always felt taller in his presence. I always shined a little brighter when I stood next to his radiance. My smiles were always a bit wider and my tears fell more easily when with him. His grace enshrouded me. I felt safer and more steadfast when around him. He enhanced my compassion as he modeled such humility and forgiveness. I lacked for nothing when we were together. The gifts that he gave me will always be in my heart to forever guide me through his eternal wisdom and love. Our companionship will live on without end. We were first and foremost brothers of the spirit, and that is immortal.

It may be tempting to wonder if we could have done more for him, if we could have given more to him, to even attempt to match what he has given to us. Inasmuch as we are tempted to ponder these questions, I know that Timothy always felt that his love was returned to him in immeasurable ways. He would never want us to second-guess ourselves or to feel that we were any less than how he held us in his expansive consciousness. Remember when he would chide you to be your best and he would nudge you to reveal the greatness of who you are destined to be? May I humbly suggest that when you think of Timothy, be mindful of his message to you and always aspire to be that person that his words inspired you to be. He modeled it and his Eagle Spirit will be soaring above and watching over us, and don’t be surprised if you hear him whispering in your ear, “I see you. I know who you are.”

So, Timothy, my dear friend and Soulmate on the Sacred path, I miss you in this moment more than words can convey. My heart has cracked open with such fervent emotion, that same intense feeling that we have felt for those that we have cared for over the years, and now beloved brother, I am swallowed up in the grief of my own personal loss in this world. But, I will remember and I will look for you in all that I see and listen for your gentle whispers and our spirits will dance together forever. I love you.

Namaste,
Stephen

19 comments:

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

Stephen:

i am in shock to hear of timothy's passing - i feel i don't have the words to truly express how i feel - i met both you and timothy at the sacred path weekend in 2007 - when the wind and fires started in malibu... from that weekend, i learned much from the both of you.

stephen i know you and timothy were close - i am sad - sad because i know that you will miss him and many others that were close to him will miss him... i only knew Timothy from a weekend - and feel the missing of a great man from the circle...

i will remember Timothy from that sacred path weekend - i will remember him coming up to me and embracing me with laughter after i had played him in a skit - i will remember him leading the Life Boat process, one of the biggest pieces for me on that weekend - i will remember him teaching me how to meditate and to listen for the sacred silence between the noises - and saying in mind, "oh my gosh there it is - that silence and there's another."

i know you have many wonderful experiences - far more than i had to experience - you are and were truly blessed to have Timothy in your life. You blessed one another and enriched one another... and my heart goes out to you - stephen - as you have lost your friend and brother...

From this event, Timothy teaches me one more lesson - that Life is fragile and delicate - friendships and brotherhoods are priceless - love is abundant - and that the path is really a sacred one...

heart filled love to you and blessings,
sheldon preston
powerful bear

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

Steve,

I have sought to find words that describe the feeling of loss that lingers around me, and I have none that are adequate. None that haven't been expressed by the many men who shared their thoughts and lamentation. I did not know Timothy well, only from the few times on the mountain, I knew him for his kindness, his grace,and gentle manner. I think that when next I sit in the lodge and look toward the men that I have come to love and regard so highly that there will be a space where he stood and in that space will be warmth.

Matt

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

Stephen I am so sad to hear about the loss of Timothy, I didn't even
know he was sick. He was such an inspiration and joy to be around, his
quiet confidence always impressed me. I was fortunate enough to spend
time with him at 3 retreats and if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have
made it through the 1st one. I was nervous about attending and he
picked up on it right away and pulled me aside and just asked if I was
ok and if he could help. Looking into his eyes made me feel at ease
and I knew immediately that I wanted to stay, if not just to be near
him to learn as much as I could. Over the course of 3 retreats I spent
very little time one on one with him but I truly feel this loss as
deeply as a lifelong friend or family member. Please let me know if I
can do anything for you in this time of grief as I know you are going
to be the one people look to for strength and it isn't easy always
helping others fisrt. You and Timothy and everyone I've had the honor
spending time with on the mountain mean so much to me and I hope you
know how appreciated you are. Thank you,
Brad

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

Hi Stephen,

It is more or less true. I live about 12 miles from the south entrance of Yosemite, but it takes about 1.5 hours to get to the Valley floor, since it is a winding mountain road. I live in a town named Oakhurst and it is a beautiful little place to live.

Right now, I am in Italy, having seen daughter Heather for Christmas and New Year's. She still lives in Greece, but visited my old girlfriend Alessandra here with me.

I was in Assisi today and said a prayer for Timothy at the tomb of St. Francis. The Franciscans also call each other "brother."

I'll be heading to Rome tomorrow and then back to the States on the 8th.

Take care brother.

Mark

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

Dear Stephen,

I am beyond a state of shock hearing the news if Timothy's untimely death via your
newsletter and heartfelt letter. What can I possibly say at this time ? Being a physician
makes me feel even more helpless in a situtation where he appeared so healthy and strong.
I can offer no explanation. Thank God we are of a high spiritual order where we can only
look to our higher power for relief. Timothy will surely be missed. I shall never forget his loving and calm
face each morning when I would see him at Gold's Gym in Venice.

With love and brotherhood,

Howard

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

Dear Rich & Stephen,
I am deeply shocked and saddened by the loss of Timothy!
Your words are wise and clear as to the value and meaning of Timothy.
Thank you for those thoughts and feelings.
With love,
Jack Spaun

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

Dear Stephen,

I am sorry for your loss.

Although I know that intellectually you you are at peace with Timothy's passing, I'm certain that the grief you are feeling is a deep physical pain. You, Timothy, both of your families, and all the men on this sacred path are in my prayers.

Love and balance,
John Rozenberg

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

Good Morning Brothers,

I am making a medicine bag to bring to Timothy's service on Saturday to give to Ziari. It will have a Medicine Wheel on one side, which is a symbol of the universe and the sixteen directions, and a Lighting Bolt on the other side, which represents the Thunder Spirits who protect and look after us. If you would like to participate, bring a small item that reminds you of Timothy to put in the medicine bag before it is presented to Ziari.

Namaste, Your Brother Dan Stanton

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

Thank you for sending this announcement to me. I was greatly saddened by the news and could only think; Why does this happen to such GOOD people? He was way too young and had so much more to give and accomplish, and was need by so many. He will be missed by anyone who had the privilege of knowing him.

I am so sorry I will be on vacation this Friday and will not be able to make the Memorial Service this Saturday as I would have done almost anything to have been there. I will take some time during the scheduled ceremony, while on vacation and reflect on my experiences in his presence. I feel a little better honoring a lost friend by remembering some events I had with them and how they affected me. I WILL MISS HIM!
Ron Lynn

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

WHAT?!!!

Timothy and I were quite close, had not spoken in some years but had a deep connection, we'd made music/vision quests together –- he was a brother. I actually have some of the ashes of his brother that Timothy gave to me.. I was at the memorial of that brother and they played a Seal song I had worked up.. Prayer for the Dying.

I must come to the memorial Rich. Please let me know when and where that will be.

Lazerus

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

I adore this man...
I adore this man...
I adore this man...

My sadness for the loss of all he still had to give and his presence in my and my children’s lives is indescribable...
I have never known someone so loving, kind, generous, patient, and reflective of the divine as Timothy...
I adore this man...
I adore this man...
Parker Stevenson

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

Oh. Man.
When I first went to a Sacred Path Retreat (The Lover, I think) I was a boy in a man's body. Timothy was raw power in the body I always wished I had, in the kind of humility and transparency I aspire to and often feel I am nowhere near enough. He scared me and excited me and inspired me and annoyed me simultaneously and with a tidal surge of emotion I never and still don't fully understand.

But I will never forget his Way with me, and with so many other guys, that humble, quiet but fierce way the man just knew who I was, saw me exactly as I was, and imbued his affection and love for me as the older brother I never had before. And he said so, every retreat, every time I saw him, ran across his path--he'd say "I see you, brother" and I knew to the core of my Being that yes, indeed, this man absolutely saw me and he demonstrated and represented unconditional acceptance. He taught me how to stand on my feet and pick my head up, no matter what my brain wiring was doing to me... showed me what I was capable of accomplishing, with nothing more than the way he saw right into my soul.

Oh man, do I miss him and regret taking it for granted that when I finally could get back up on the Hill, Timothy would be there as always, in some crazy gorgeous outfit, arms open, grin that lit up the air... oh. man.

Reading my brothers' words about him, their experiences with him, it all just reminds me how he was and all my memories flood back in and swamp me like I just got worked down at County Line in the biggest damned wave...and washed up onto the shore.

When Stephen said, "May I humbly suggest that when you think of Timothy, be mindful of his message to you and always aspire to be that person that his words inspired you to be," I instantly felt my heart tighten in my chest, the warrior spirit inside my soul sit up straighter, formally, seiza. Yeah, I'll do that. I'll pick my head up and remember that which he gave me, how he put feet under me and helped me grow up. I'll do that, Timothy. Because I remember that you saw me. You knew who I was.

Indeed, Timothy, I see you. and I know who you are. And I. Will. Never. Forget. You.
Christopher Page

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

Sorrow.....
Thanks for letting me know. I am now residing in Saint Joseph, Missouri. Have been here now 1 month. I would very much like to receive any news from our remarkable group. i am crying.
Love,
Cary_

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

Hi Stephen,
The greatest gift that I wish for when I die is to have someone say for me the absolutely amazingly beautiful words that you wrote to and for Timothy. You did find the words to describe what is in your heart, and I felt every one of the severed roots that you and Timothy had grown together in your long and close relationship.

You have brought the ability to express these feelings to so many men who would have otherwise stood mute in the world. Even if you stopped your work today, your legacy would continue ad infinitum, with the ripples spreading and growing wider and wider. You are truly a blessing to this planet, and I'm so glad to have the opportunity to know you.

Love,
Rich

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

Good Morning Stephen,

Just touching base to see how you are doing. I know this last week has been exceptionally hard on you. I'm looking forward to seeing you and the other men on Saturday.

I also wanted to let you know that since Monday night when we lit a candle for Timothy, we have had two spirits visit us at our home. Tuesday Hannah was feeling a presence of a spirit and then yesterday she felt and saw two spirit throughout the day. The spirits have a presence of well being and are non-threatening. There is a good feeling with their presence. I just wanted to share this with you. In my heart I know it is Timothy with another spirit, either guiding him or joining him as he visits different places.

Please give our best to your family.

Love, Dan...

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

Dear Steve,
My heart goes out to all the people that loved your friend.
I was so sorry to hear someone so young to pass away like that.
It is fortunate you were able to make his transistion more peaceful with your loving energy.
I am blessed to have you, too.
sincerly,
Leeann

Mens Center of Los Angeles said...

Dear Stephen,

I learned of the passing of our brother Timothy on Tuesday morning quite by accident.
I had placed a call to Jamie Stevens. Who as you might recall was the attorney that Timothy referred me for help with my divorce.
I was stunned beyond belief, and am still at a loss for words to describe how much he meant to me.
When I attended my first Sacred Path event ( a one day event held in Topanga Cyn.) in the Spring of 2001. Timothy was the first member of the Wisdom Council I spoke with.
I was an emotional mess that day.
I had recently lost my best friend in an airplane accident, my marriage was failing and I was about to make a change in careers.
During a break I noticed Timothy had a tattoo on his left wrist in the general area of where one normally wears a watch.
I used this observation not only to find out the meaning of the tat. But as an ice breaker to start a conversation with this powerful looking man who spoke so softly, and drummed with such passion.
Timothy explained that the tattoo which was in the design of a kind of woven bracelet that had shape of a leaf hanging from it, with the name Ziari in it.
He said that instead of wearing a watch to tell time, when he looked there and saw the name imprinted there he would say to himself it's time for Ziari.......his son. A reminder to himself that there is "always time for Ziari" he said.
This initial talk with him made me rather nervous.
I could tell that he was looking directly into my soul, to the very essence of who I am.
There was no bs'ing him that was clear.
It was the same feeling you get as a youngster when caught in a lie by your parents, but continue to try and convince them you are telling the truth.
After a particularly powerful Sacred Breathing session in which he help me to complete.
I stood and thanked him.
Then the most unusual thing happened.
He and I stood facing each other for probably 5 minutes in complete silence. We just looked into each others eyes which revealed to the other our complete selves.
I don't think I have ever felt that kind of closeness/love for another man.
I am by no means homophobic and am very secure in my sexuality. But in the closing of that moment I could not help but kiss him on the cheek. I was so drawn to him it made me a bit self coconsciousbr>He looked at me with gratitude and appreciation and apparent complete understanding of why I reached out to him in that way.
My own feelings of self consciousness vanished quickly as I learned what the true meaning of "The Mature Masculine" is. As a room full of other men looked on.
I know how much Timothy meant to you, and the depth of the anguish you must be feeling for the loss of this great man.
I have told several of my friends about his passing and one of them, a women I have not yet met in person sent me this passage, and I wanted to share it with you.
I am as all the world should be deeply saddened by the loss of a man I am proud to have known and had the honor to have called Brother.........
For you Stephen:

May you find peace on the other side of sorrow.
May you find comfort on the other side of loss.
And most of all, may you find in this sad farewell,
that love lives on in the memories of the heart...

Larry Williams

Tonya Rene said...

I love all of you for loving my dear friend, Timothy. His loss is still as great and his presence in my life greater than ever. In these days, the past shared with him feels even more magical and divine.. peace Tonya ,derson

Tonya Rene said...

I love all of you for loving my dear friend, Timothy. His loss is still as great and his presence in my life greater than ever. In these days, the past shared with him feels even more magical and divine.. peace Tonya ,derson